Friday, March 25, 2011

Of The Three Types of Arthritis-The Most Common is....

There are three types of "Arthritis" namely, Osteoarthritis (OA), Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and Ankylosing Spondylitis Arthritis (AS). OA affects over 27 million Americans, women are the most highly affected (women 18 %, men 9.6 %). RA affects approx 1.3 million Americans, women being the most affected. AS affects approx 350,000 Americans. I was personally diagnosed with OA over four years ago. Therefore, I will begin with my personal experiential encounter with the "OsteoArthritis" disease. My entire body, at first, seemed to be affected. It was very scary!!, in that, I had no idea what was happening to me. My body was racked with chronic pain. The most painful area of my body was my hands, fingers, wrists, shoulders, lower back, knees, legs, ankles and feet. During a period of time (several weeks) I was rendered immobile; I simply could-not-walk. I sought several opinions, but to no avail. It was not until I decided to go the Hines Veterans Hospital, where a battery of test was conducted over several months. After submitting to the myriad of laboratory test and examinations, I finally received an audience with a Dr. of Rhumatology. It was after that in-depth discussion and more battery of lab test-for the diagnosis determination

No comments:

Post a Comment